[OS X TeX] [Beginner] unicode support

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Apr 11 13:41:24 CEST 2005

Am 11.04.2005 um 11:42 schrieb Marek Stepanek:

>     mareklap% tex einladung.tex
>     This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>     (./einladung.tex
>     ! Undefined control sequence.
>     l.1 ^^ef^^bb^^bf\documentclass
>                               [paper=a4]{scrlttr2}
> ?
>
> with or without BOM, it is quite the same ... also the file
> einladung.log
> gives not more hints. Really I don't know what to do !
>
> Perhaps something wrong with my 'headers' ?
>
> \documentclass[paper=a4]{scrlttr2}

Since your TeX file starts with "\documentclass" it is a LaTeX file and
should not use tex but latex or pdflatex, as Bruno already recommended.
And you should check with which programme you are writing the file! The
sequence of three characters in front of \documentclass in the first
line looks a bit strange to me ... Is that your "BOM(b)", Byte Order
Mark? latex and pdflatex and TeXShop don't need it, provided you set
TeXShop to edit in UTF-8.

> \usepackage{ngerman}
> \usepackage{ucs}
> \usepackage[utf-8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage{txfonts}

I'm not using Dominique Unruh's ucs package, so I probably can't be of
great help any more. The txfonts are intended for use with the 'usual'
Latin scripts and math. They're optimized for the text encodings OT1,
T1, TS1, and LY1 ... You can read it yourself: 'texdoc txfontsdocA4!

Since you're a beginner and obviously a Mac user: why don't you trying
something with an universal approach to languages and scripts that
indeed runs on Macs and Mac OS X? It's XeTeX, available as an i-Package
to easily integrate into your teTeX installation. XeTeX seems to have
so problems with math symbols, but as far as I read it is quite perfect
in using scripts and using them in a specific language. Aren't there a
dozen languages that use Cyrillic? And aren't the character
sets/encodings always a bit specific for that language? Recent XeTeX
0.94 has an approach to this.

Home:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=XeTeX&
Add-on: http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/tex/