[OS X TeX] Re: Beginner: bibliography strategy?

Andrei Sobolevskii ansobol at mac.com
Sun Apr 10 22:27:37 CEST 2005

Martin,

Now that you have a general idea of handling bibliography data via
LaTeX+BibTeX, you might also look at a Web resource called CiteULike
<http://www.citeulike.org>.  It is a kind of "social bookmark
service" of the del.icio.us type <http://del.icio.us>, crafted
especially for handling scientific bibliographies.  It can work with
both BibTeX and EndNote, so in case you have any legacy EndNote files
you must be able to just export them to CiteULike, keep there, and
reimport as BibTeX files.

 From their front page:
"CiteULike is a free service to help academics to share, store, and
organise the academic papers they are reading. When you see a paper
on the web that interests you, you can click one button and have it
added to your personal library. CiteULike automatically extracts the
citation details, so there's no need to type them in yourself. It all
works from within your web browser. There's no need to install any
special software. "

If you happen to work in a field popular among CiteULike users (I
guess you are since you are using PubMed), the additional value is
that you can benefit from references to relevant papers other people
are finding and publishing in their CiteULike libraries.  This is the
"social" aspect of the service.

I am using CiteULike for several months now and see it as a valuable
addition to my usual BibTeX-based bibliography strategy.

HTH,
Andrei

--
Andrei SOBOLEVSKII