[OS X TeX] TeXShop regex: matching braces, fancy patterns

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 9 21:15:54 CEST 2005

I have a couple questions about regular expressions in TeXShop:

1) Is there any way to find matching braces, that is, given that more
matching braces might possibly be nested? _Programming Perl_, p. 214,
offers one method, but it requires a matching regex from embedded Perl
code,

(??{ $np })

which I can't seem to get to work. This then is my second question,

2) I can't seem to get some of the "fancy patterns" in "Programming
Perl" to work from TeXShop's Find panel. Most do work, for example the
look-ahead and look-behind, modifying case-sensitivity with (?i: ). But
some do not, for example, conditionals, and executing perl code, such
as,

(?{...})
(??{...})
(?(...)...|...)

Is this a limitation of the implementation in TeXShop, or have I
installed something incorrectly, or is there  something that needs
updating?

Again, I should note that TeXShop is a wonderful program, and having
(at least most of) perl regex capabilities is fantastic. I can find
some other way to solve this, I suppose, but if possible I'd prefer to
be able to do it in TeXShop, where I do all of my editing.

As always, thanks so very much,

Roger

********************************

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222