[OS X TeX] Beginner: bibliography strategy?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sat Apr 9 17:22:16 CEST 2005

You may be able to avoid EndNote altogether by just using BibDesk along
with its ability to filter imported references. First, grab the
Bibutils from:

http://www.scripps.edu/~cdputnam/software/bibutils/bibutils.html

Install them in /usr/local/bin.

Then, for example, if you want to import and boatload of references
from ISI Web of Knowledge, you would process the exported ISI
references in the following two-step process:

(1) run isi2xml on them;

(2) run xml2bib on the result of (1).

With BibDesk, you can "Open Using Filter..." on the ISI-formatted
references and you won't have to use the command line. If you put the
bibutils in /usr/local/bin, then just type the following in the Filter
Shell Command field:

/usr/local/bin/isi2xml | /usr/local/bin/xml2bib

When you then click "Open", the utilities will filter your file and
open the references in BibTeX format into BibDesk. It is incredibly
cool!

BibDesk even saves the recent filters used between sessions.

There is a med2xml filter in the Bibutils, so this should work (along
with xml2bib as described above).

BibDesk completely rules!

Good luck,

-- Gary