[OS X TeX] Beginner: bibliography strategy?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Apr 9 17:16:18 CEST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 01:43, Rick and Karla Gross wrote:

> Download the fantastic and very stable open source application
> called BibDesk.   Use it to enter and store your Medline bibtex
> entries. Bibdesk is a bibliographic database with a great OS X Aqua
> GUI that to me feels and looks like Endnote (its a heck of a lot
> more stable than the latest versions of Endnote though).

As a member of the BibDesk development team, this is really nice to
hear; you can figure that my comments will be biased towards BibDesk,
though :).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned:  there is a freeware application
called ReferenceMiner which allows you to search PubMed with an Aqua
interface, and you can drag-and-drop results from ReferenceMiner
directly into BibDesk.  BibDesk also supports importing Medline/RIS
files.

> From there,  if you are using Texshop as your front end you can
> drag and drop references from Bibdesk into your Texshop document
> text editor.  Although I can not speak for other OS X Tex
> applications I can say that TexShop and Bibdesk make for a great
> and very easy to use combo for generating scientific articles with
> customized references and graphics.

With BibDesk, you get reference autocompletion in Cocoa applications
such as iTeXMac, TeXShop, TextEdit, and SubEthaEdit, so if you type a
partial BibTeX cite key such as \cite{my and  hit option-escape, you
get a list of matching reference (e.g. \cite{myPaper:2004}) to choose
from.  As mentioned, we also support drag-and-drop of citations/
references in as many places as possible.

As Simon alluded, these cite keys then be processed by BibTeX.  I
think BBEdit supports the use of Services for autocompletion (see
BibDesk's online help for details on usage; if the menu isn't grayed
out, it should work), and Curt Clifton wrote an AppleScript for
autocompletion using BibDesk->BBEdit, also covered in the online
help.  Drag-and-drop will work, too, and you can customize your cite
keys for that.

> Lastly, make sure to install the natbib package as it will allow
> for complete customization of bibliographic styles in your Tex
> document.

Agreed; natbib makes BibTeX much more usable.

regards,
Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>