[OS X TeX] when does TOC get written

Jeff Genung maine at searust.com
Sat Apr 2 06:56:42 CEST 2005

OK, head scratching question --- Say I have a document main.tex that has
inputs for three other documents that are each a chapter. There is also a
TOC called main.toc that is created by main.tex. I have to run main.tex
through twice to get the TOC to shuffle out correctly. The question is why?
and how does tex know that it's the second time through, and needs to write
to main.toc.? Because I can open main.toc and change it and then tex
main.tex and my changes to the TOC are there, but the second time through
they are over written. So how does it know that its the second time through?

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>