[OS X TeX] Carbon

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Apr 1 00:25:23 CEST 2005

Am 31.03.2005 um 20:19 schrieb Luis Alonso-Ovalle:

> Running `pdfLaTeX & view' on `try' with ``pdflatex
> '\nonstopmode\input{try.tex}';open try.pdf''
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b (Web2C 7.4.5)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
> 2005-03-31 13:10:26.557 open[472] No such file:
> /Users/sandra/Desktop/try.pdf

There are two errors, the latter one, the view command, which is 'open
try.pdf,' is trivial: it can't work because no PDF output could be
created in the step before.

The first error is that pdfTeX cannot find the pdflatex.fmt, which is
needed in order to pdflatex the document try.tex. So pdftex invokes the
script mktexfmt, which is a symbolic link pointing to fmtutil. This
script is not able to find its configuration file fmtutil.cnf. So it
can't do anything, no pdflatex.fmt file is created and pdftex finally
gives up with an error message.

The reason can be that you misconfigured AUCTeX. Or you have set an
environment variable that makes pdftex fail in not allowing it to find
its accessories.

Can you use the shell in Carbon Emacs? Can you cd in shell into the
directory where try.tex is? How does it work to pdftex or pdflatex in
that shell? What is the output of the shell command 'which pdftex
pdflatex fmtutil'? What is the output of this shell command: 'env |
sort'? And what is the output of this shell command: 'fmtutil
--listcfg'?

What is the contents of the *Shell Command Output* buffer when you
invoke in Emacs: 'M-x shell-command RET env | sort'? (M-x shell-command
RET is bound to M-! or Esc-!)
--
Greetings

   Pete