[OS X TeX] Re: BibTeX macro poll

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 29 10:27:05 CEST 2004

Clearly any BibTeX GUI should be able to *parse* the full BibTeX
syntax. Editing is less important, provided you allow users to edit the
source code directly.

I occasionally use # for names of conferences. The file string.bib
defines POPL like this:

@string{POPL="Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages"}

File string-abbrv.bib defines it like this:

@string{POPL="Princ. Prog. Lang."}

In crossref.bib, there are entries like this one:

@PROCEEDINGS{popl89,
   title = {16th Annual } # POPL,
   year = {1989},
   publisher = {ACM Press},
   booktitle = {16th Annual } # POPL}

Other .bib files refer to individual published papers like this:

@InProceedings{wadler-ad-hoc,
   author	= {Philip Wadler and Stephen Blott},
   title		= {How to Make Ad-Hoc Polymorphism Less Ad Hoc},
   crossref	= {popl89},
   pages		= {60-76}
}

Obviously string-abbrv.bib should be used only with abbreviated
bibliography styles. An alternative is to put the new macros directly
into the .bst files.

Thanks for asking! I'd love to use BibDesk, but it seems unable to
parse my venerable .bib files.

Larry Paulson

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>