[OS X TeX] BibTeX macro poll

Michael McCracken michael_mccracken at mac.com
Tue Sep 28 07:50:16 CEST 2004

Hi, just a quick question for those BibTeX users who use macros

Apparently, the common usage of BibTeX macros is to do something like

Month = jan,

To allow for localization, etc. Also journal and conference names are
often abbreviated using macros like this.

However, BibTeX allows field values to contain joined lists of strings,
numbers, and macros, like this:

@string{NYC = "New York City"}

Title = {I haven't been to } # NYC # "Since" # 1979,
Month = jan,

What I'd like to know is, do you ever use the full syntax, and would
support for macro editing in BibDesk be considered complete if you
could only edit simple macros like "Month = jun" but more complicated
ones were only passed through unaltered?