[OS X TeX] How do people handle spellchecking in different languages

Gilles Serasset Gilles.Serasset at imag.fr
Mon Sep 27 16:57:17 CEST 2004

Hi all,

Well that's réellement a very wunderbar nouvelle...

(Note that's this sentence is now orthographically correct according to
my spell checker...)

Let's take adress for example... not an error, but do I mean address
(as in English) or adresse (as in French) or do I really mean adress
(as in Lombard or Swedish(?)).

For a more "intelligent" solution, even if you are using \setlanguage
{} a correct selection of the spell checking dictionary may be very
difficult as your \setlanguage may be part of a more complicated macro
and frontends like TeXShop/iTeXMac will not/should not go into such
details...

Another idea, should be to use special form of comment to force the
language of a part of the document, but this is only possible for whole
lines of texts.. and I don't even know if it is possible to locally
change the spell checking language of the Mac OS X spell checker.

Well, this was in fact one of the great thing of omega, as it was
apparently possible to attach external actions handled during the
typesetting and to produce a "spell-checked" version of your pdf (as
spell checking took place at the very last time after all macro
expansion, the language was always known at that time).

Gilles,

Gilles Sérasset
GETA-CLIPS-IMAG (UJF, INPG & CNRS)
BP 53 - F-38041 Grenoble Cedex 9