[OS X TeX] Performance comparison G4/G5

Claus Gerhardt claus.gerhardt at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Sep 26 18:21:47 CEST 2004

This weekend I got a new G5 at 2.5GHz and used the opportunity to compare
the performance - as far as tex is concerned - with my old G4 at 500MHz.
In short, the improvement is linearly in the frequency, the G5 typesets
tex documents 5 times faster than the G4: a thirty page paper (2 runs)
\le 2sec, a 300 page book (2 runs) = 8sec.

Textures' flashmode in classic works again instantaneously - there was
an uncomfortable delay with the G4. Using Textures for writing and
editing was and still is my preferred way, though I have to admit that
TeXShop and pdfsync work very well together, but of course not as good
as Textures and - alas - no flashmode.

My overall impression of my G5: beautiful and perfect; extremely quiet
and really fast. Unfortunately, I couldn't test it with Mathematica,
since my license expired and I have to wait a few days to renew it, but
I guess the two processors' power won't be a bottle neck, but rather
the memory: with the G4 and 1.25MB I always ran out of memory when
doing some special Gröbner base calculations and of course it took
weeks!

Claus
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>