[OS X TeX] how do I update pdflatex?

Felix Grasser fgrasser at dplanet.ch
Fri Sep 24 16:34:05 CEST 2004

Tico Ballagas wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I'm having trouble including pdf images in my tex file.   Here is the
> error that I'm getting:
>
> [4 <./figures/PointAndShoot.pdf, page is rotated 90 degrees>
> <./figures/VisualC
> ode-CoordinateSystem.pdf>]Error: PDF version 1.5 -- xpdf supports
> version 1.4 (continuing anyway)
>
> Error: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file figures
> /InteractionTechnique.pdf): pdf inclusion: found pdf version <1.5>,
> but at most
>  version <1.4> allowed
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>
> It looks as if my pdflatex binary is out of date.  How do I go about
> updating this?  I browsed through the i-Installer installations and
> was completely unsuccessful.
>
> Thanks in advance
> -Tico

> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

Hi Tico,

I am resending something I had sent to the list a little while ago - I
think it should answer your problem.

The following workaround is based on a windows Miktex machine, but I
have implemented it at home on my mac as well. You will just have to
locate the corresponding file in the tetex hierarchy.

Add the line "pdf_minorversion 5" to the file
"...\texmf\pdftex\config\pdftex.cfg" (substitute path with applicable
path on mac). The compilation should execute without error. Not that the
pdf file generated is still the same but the number accessible in
"document properties" in acrobat is now 1.5 instead of 1.4.

You can find more info at the below websites:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2003-October/004654.html
http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/NEWS

Hope this helps

Felix