[OS X TeX] Controlling BibDesk display?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Sep 20 04:36:42 CEST 2004

On Sep 19, 2004, at 19:09, Stephen Anderson wrote:

> I've generally been happy with the bibtex mode in emacs as a way to
> maintain bibliography files, but people seem so enthusiastic about
> BibDesk that I thought I'd give it a try.  It looks rather nice, but
> one thing I can't figure out: how can I control the organization of
> the display? Specifically, I would like entries displayed ordered
> first by first author; within an author, by date; within the same date
> by citation key.  I seem to be able to control the first level of
> sorting, but I can't figure out the principle that BibDesk uses for
> sorting below the first field.  How can I specify this? The Help file
> doesn't seem to say anything about this, if I'm not mistaken.

At present, you can only sort by a single field; the order of identical
keys within that is undefined, as far as I can tell.  Apple's tables
aren't really designed for sorting beyond a single column; I guess
you'd have to implement something like Excel's sorting dialog.  About
the best we can do at present is a combination of searching and sorting
within a search.

--
Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>