[OS X TeX] bibtex data for preprints

Claus Gerhardt claus.gerhardt at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Sep 20 02:32:46 CEST 2004

Let me mention for those of you who don't know - I actually didn't know
either before tonight - that the math front end of the arXive,
http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/ , offers bibtex data for the math
preprints.

For physics preprints one can get the bibtex data from the original
arXive server by clicking on the spires link - this I did know before.

If you add in the eprint field the equivalent of

\href{http://arXiv.org/abs/math.DG/0312318}{arXiv:math.DG/0312318}

in connection with a modification of the style file hamsplain.bst - the
modified file is copied below -,  then arXiv:math.DG/0312318 will be
properly hypereffed when hyperref is used and otherwise simply printed
as text.

Claus

%%% ====================================================================
%%%  @BibTeX-style-file{
%%%     author          = "American Mathematical Society",
%%%     version         = "1.2beta",
%%%     date            = "13-Oct-1994",
%%%     time            = "15:30:52 EDT",
%%%     filename        = "hamsplain.bst",
%%%     copyright       = "Copyright (C) 1994 American Mathematical
Society,
%%%                        all rights reserved.  Copying of this file is
%%%                        authorized only if either:
%%%                        (1) you make absolutely no changes to your
copy,
%%%                        including name; OR
%%%                        (2) if you do make changes, you first rename
it
%%%                        to some other name.
%%%                        [Name changed to hamsplain.bst]",
%%%     address         = "American Mathematical Society,
%%%                        Technical Support,
%%%                        Electronic Products and Services,
%%%                        P. O. Box 6248,
%%%                        Providence, RI 02940,
%%%                        USA",
%%%     telephone       = "401-455-4080 or (in the USA and Canada)
%%%                        800-321-4AMS (321-4267)",
%%%     FAX             = "401-331-3842",
%%%     email           = "tech-support at math.ams.org (Internet)",
%%%     codetable       = "ISO/ASCII",
%%%     keywords        = "bibtex, bibliography, amslatex, ams-latex",
%%%     supported       = "yes?",
%%%     abstract        = "BibTeX bibliography style `hamsplain' for
BibTeX
%%%                        versions 0.99a or later and LaTeX version 2e.
%%%                        Produces alphabetic-label bibliography items
in
%%%                        a form typical for American Mathematical
Society
%%%                        publications.  Modified by Greg Kuperberg to
%%%                        include an eprint field for e-print
archives."
%%%  }
%%% ====================================================================

% See the file btxbst.doc for extra documentation other than
% what is included here.  And see btxhak.tex for a description
% of the BibTeX language and how to use it.

% This defines the types of fields that can occur in a database entry
% for this particular bibliography style.  Except for `language',
% this is the standard list from plain.bst.

%% Types of entries currently allowed in a BibTeX file:
%%
%% ARTICLE -- An article from a journal or magazine.
%%
%% BOOK -- A book with an explicit publisher.
%%
%% BOOKLET -- A work that is printed and bound,
%% but without a named publisher or sponsoring institution.
%%
%% CONFERENCE -- The same as INPROCEEDINGS,
%% included for Scribe compatibility.
%%
%% INBOOK -- A part of a book,
%% which may be a chapter (or section or whatever) and/or a range of
pages.
%%
%% INCOLLECTION -- A part of a book having its own title.
%%
%% INPROCEEDINGS -- An article in a conference proceedings.
%%
%% MANUAL -- Technical documentation.
%%
%% MASTERSTHESIS -- A Master's thesis.
%%
%% MISC -- Use this type when nothing else fits.
%%
%% PHDTHESIS -- A PhD thesis.
%%
%% PROCEEDINGS -- The proceedings of a conference.
%%
%% TECHREPORT -- A report published by a school or other institution,
%% usually numbered within a series.
%%
%% UNPUBLISHED -- A document having an author and title, but not
formally
%% published.
ENTRY
   { address
     author
     booktitle
     chapter
     edition
     editor
     eprint
     howpublished
     institution
     journal
     key
     language
     month
     note
     number
     organization
     pages
     publisher
     school
     series
     title
     type
     url
     volume
     year
   }
   {}
   { label extra.label }

% Removed after.sentence, after.block---not needed.

INTEGERS { output.state before.all mid.sentence }

FUNCTION {init.state.consts}
{ #0 'before.all :=
   #1 'mid.sentence :=
}

% Scratch variables:

STRINGS { s t }

% Utility functions

FUNCTION {shows}
{ duplicate$ "::::  `" swap$ * "'" * top$
}

FUNCTION {showstack}
{"STACK=================================================================
===="
top$
stack$
"ENDSTACK===============================================================
==="
top$
}

FUNCTION {not}
{   { #0 }
     { #1 }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {and}
{   'skip$
     { pop$ #0 }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {or}
{   { pop$ #1 }
     'skip$
   if$
}

FUNCTION {field.or.null}
{ duplicate$ empty$
     { pop$ "" }
     'skip$
   if$
}

FUNCTION {emphasize}
{ duplicate$ empty$
     { pop$ "" }
     { "\emph{" swap$ * "}" * }
   if$
}

% n.dashify is used to make sure page ranges get the TeX code
% (two hyphens) for en-dashes.

FUNCTION {n.dashify}
{ 't :=
   ""
     { t empty$ not }
     { t #1 #1 substring$ "-" =
	{ t #1 #2 substring$ "--" = not
	    { "--" *
	      t #2 global.max$ substring$ 't :=
	    }
	    {   { t #1 #1 substring$ "-" = }
		{ "-" *
		  t #2 global.max$ substring$ 't :=
		}
	      while$
	    }
	  if$
	}
	{ t #1 #1 substring$ *
	  t #2 global.max$ substring$ 't :=
	}
       if$
     }
   while$
}

% tie.or.space.connect connects two items with a ~ if the
% second item is less than 3 letters long, otherwise it just puts an
% ordinary space.

FUNCTION {tie.or.space.connect}
{ duplicate$ text.length$ #3 <
     { "~" }
     { " " }
   if$
   swap$ * *
}

FUNCTION {add.space.if.necessary}
{ duplicate$ "" =
     'skip$
     { " " * }
   if$
}

% either.or.check gives a warning if two mutually exclusive fields
% were used in the database.

FUNCTION {either.or.check}
{ empty$
     'pop$
     { "can't use both " swap$ * " fields in " * cite$ * warning$ }
   if$
}

% output.nonnull is called by output.

FUNCTION {output.nonnull}
% remove the top item from the stack because it's in the way.
{ 's :=
   output.state mid.sentence =
% If we're in mid-sentence, add a comma to the new top item and write it
     { ", " * write$ }
% Otherwise, if we're at the beginning of a bibitem,
     { output.state before.all =
% just write out the top item from the stack;
       'write$
% and the last alternative is that we're at the end of the current
% bibitem, so we add a period to the top stack item and write it out.
         { add.period$ " " * write$ }
       if$
       mid.sentence 'output.state :=
     }
   if$
% Put the top item back on the stack that we removed earlier.
}

% Output checks to see if the stack top is empty; if not, it
% calls output.nonnull to write it out.

FUNCTION {output}
{ duplicate$ empty$
     'pop$
     'output.nonnull
   if$
}

% Standard warning message for a missing or empty field. For the user
% we call any such field `missing' without respect to the distinction
% made by BibTeX between missing and empty.

FUNCTION {missing.warning}
{ "missing " swap$ * " in " * cite$ * warning$ }

% Output.check is like output except that it gives a warning on-screen
% if the given field in the database entry is empty.  t is the field
% name.

FUNCTION {output.check}
{ 't :=
   duplicate$ empty$
     { pop$ t missing.warning }
     'output.nonnull
   if$
}

FUNCTION {output.bibitem}
{ newline$
   "\bibitem{" write$
   cite$ write$
   "}" write$
   newline$
% This empty string is the first thing that will be written
% the next time write$ is called.  Done this way because each
% item is saved on the stack until we find out what punctuation
% should be added after it.  Therefore we need an empty first item.
   ""
   before.all 'output.state :=
}

FUNCTION {fin.entry}
{ add.period$
   write$
   newline$
}

% Removed new.block, new.block.checka, new.block.checkb, new.sentence,
% new.sentence.checka, and new.sentence.checkb functions here, since
they
% don't seem to be needed in the AMS style.  Also moved some real
% basic functions like `and' and 'or' earlier in the file.

INTEGERS { nameptr namesleft numnames }

% The extra section to write out a language field was added
% for AMSPLAIN.BST.  Not present in plain.bst.

FUNCTION {format.language}
{ language empty$
     { "" }
     { " (" language * ")" * }
   if$
}

% This version of format.names puts names in the format
%
% First von Last, Jr.
%
% (i.e., first name first, no abbreviating to initials).

FUNCTION {format.names}
{ 's :=
   #1 'nameptr :=
   s num.names$ 'numnames :=
   numnames 'namesleft :=
     { namesleft #0 > }
     { s nameptr "{ff~}{vv~}{ll}{, jj}" format.name$ 't :=
       nameptr #1 >
	{ namesleft #1 >
	    { ", " * t * }
	    { numnames #2 >
		{ "," * }
		'skip$
	      if$
	      t "others" =
		{ " et~al." * }
		{ " and " * t * }
	      if$
	    }
	  if$
	}
	't
       if$
       nameptr #1 + 'nameptr :=
       namesleft #1 - 'namesleft :=
     }
   while$
}

FUNCTION {format.authors}
{ author empty$
     { "" }
     { extra.label "\bysame" =
          {"\bysame"}
          { author format.names }
      if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.editors}
{ editor empty$
     { "" }
     { editor format.names
       editor num.names$ #1 >
	{ " (eds.)" * }
	{ " (ed.)" * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.nonauthor.editors}
{ editor empty$
     { "" }
     { editor format.names
       editor num.names$ #1 >
	{ ", eds." * }
	{ ", ed." * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.title}
{ title empty$
     { "" }
     { title "t" change.case$ emphasize }
   if$
}

% Function modified to wrap the eprint number in an mbox construction -
GJK

FUNCTION {format.eprint}
{ eprint empty$
     { "" }
     { "\mbox{" eprint * "}" * }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.journal.vol.year}
{ journal empty$
     { "journal name" missing.warning ""}
     { journal }
   if$
   volume empty$
     'skip$
     { " \textbf{" * volume * "}" * }
   if$
   year empty$
     { "year" missing.warning }
     { " (" * year * ")" * }
   if$
}

% For formatting the issue number for a journal article.

FUNCTION {format.number}
{ number empty$
     { "" }
     { "no.~" number * }
   if$
}

% For formatting miscellaneous dates

FUNCTION {format.date}
{ year empty$
     { month empty$
	{ "" }
	{ "there's a month but no year in " cite$ * warning$
	  month
	}
       if$
     }
     { month empty$
	'year
	{ month " " * year * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

%%      The volume, series and number information is sort of tricky.
%%      This code handles it as follows:
%%      If the series is present, and the volume, but not the number,
%%        then we do "\emph{Book title}, Series Name, vol. 000"
%%      If the series is present, and the number, but not the volume,
%%        then we do "\emph{Book title}, Series Name, no. 000"
%%      If the series is present, and both number and volume,
%%        then we do "\emph{Book title}, vol. XX, Series Name, no. 000"
%%      Finally, if the series is absent,
%%        then we do "\emph{Book title}, vol. XX"
%%        or         "\emph{Book title}, no. 000"
%%        and if both volume and number are present, give a warning
message.

FUNCTION {format.bookvolume.series.number}
{ volume empty$
     { "" % Push the empty string as a placeholder in case everything
else
          % is empty too.
       series empty$
         'skip$
         { pop$ series } % if series is not empty put in stack
       if$
       number empty$
         'skip$
         { duplicate$ empty$ % if no preceding material,
             'skip$          % do nothing, otherwise
             { ", " * }      % add a comma and space to separate.
           if$
           "no." number tie.or.space.connect * % add the number
information
         }
       if$
     }
%% If the volume is NOT EMPTY:
     { "vol." volume tie.or.space.connect % vol. XX
       number empty$
         { series empty$
             'skip$
             { series ", " * swap$ *}    % Series Name, vol. XX
           if$
         }
         { series empty$
             { "can't use both volume and number if series info is
missing"
               warning$
               "in BibTeX entry type `" type$ * "'" * top$
             }
             { ", " * series * ", no." * number tie.or.space.connect }
           if$
         }
       if$
     }
   if$

}  % end of format.bookvolume.series.number

%% format.inproc.title.where.editors is used by inproceedings entry
types

FUNCTION {format.inproc.title.address.editors}
{ booktitle empty$
     { "" }
%%      No case changing or emphasizing for the title.  We want initial
%%      caps, roman.
     { booktitle }
   if$
%%      We add parentheses around the address (place where conference
%%      was held).
   address empty$
     'skip$
     { add.space.if.necessary "(" * address * ")" * }
   if$
%%      Likewise we add parentheses around the editors' names.
   editor empty$
     'skip$
     { add.space.if.necessary "(" * format.nonauthor.editors * ")" * }
   if$
}

%% format.incoll.title.editors is similar to format.inproc... but
%% omits the address. For collections that are not proceedings volumes.

FUNCTION {format.incoll.title.editors}
{ booktitle empty$
     { "" }
%%      No case changing or emphasizing for the title.  We want initial
%%      caps, roman.
     { booktitle }
   if$
%%      We add parentheses around the editors' names.
   editor empty$
     'skip$
     { add.space.if.necessary "(" * format.nonauthor.editors * ")" * }
   if$
}

% Desired output for format.number.series:
%
% Lecture Notes in Math., no.~1224

FUNCTION {format.number.series}
{ series empty$
     { number empty$
         { "" }
         { "there's a number but no series in " cite$ * warning$ }
       if$
     }
     { series
       number empty$
         'skip$
         { ", no.~" * number * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.edition}
{ edition empty$
     { "" }
     { output.state mid.sentence =
	{ edition "l" change.case$ " ed." * }
	{ edition "t" change.case$ " ed." * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

INTEGERS { multiresult }

FUNCTION {multi.page.check}
{ 't :=
   #0 'multiresult :=
     { multiresult not
       t empty$ not
       and
     }
     { t #1 #1 substring$
       duplicate$ "-" =
       swap$ duplicate$ "," =
       swap$ "+" =
       or or
	{ #1 'multiresult := }
	{ t #2 global.max$ substring$ 't := }
       if$
     }
   while$
   multiresult
}

FUNCTION {format.pages}
{ pages empty$
     { "" }
     { pages n.dashify }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.book.pages}
{ pages empty$
     { "" }
     { pages multi.page.check
	{ "pp.~" pages n.dashify * }
	{ "p.~" pages * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.chapter.pages}
{ chapter empty$
     'format.pages
     { type empty$
	{ "ch.~" }
	{ type "l" change.case$ " " * }
       if$
       chapter *
       pages empty$
	'skip$
	{ ", " * format.book.pages * }
       if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {empty.misc.check}
{ author empty$ title empty$ howpublished empty$
   month empty$ year empty$ note empty$
   and and and and and
   key empty$ not and
     { "all relevant fields are empty in " cite$ * warning$ }
     'skip$
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.thesis.type}
{ type empty$
     'skip$
     { pop$
       type "t" change.case$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.tr.number}
{ type empty$
     { "Tech. Report" }
     'type
   if$
   number empty$
     { "t" change.case$ }
     { number tie.or.space.connect }
   if$
}

% The format.crossref functions haven't been paid much attention
% at the present time (June 1990) and could probably use some
% work.  MJD

FUNCTION {format.article.crossref}
{ key empty$
     { journal empty$
	{ "need key or journal for " cite$ * " to crossref " * crossref *
	  warning$
	  ""
	}
	{ "In " journal * }
       if$
     }
     { "In " key * }
   if$
   " \cite{" * crossref * "}" *
}

FUNCTION {format.crossref.editor}
{ editor #1 "{vv~}{ll}" format.name$
   editor num.names$ duplicate$
   #2 >
     { pop$ " et~al." * }
     { #2 <
	'skip$
	{ editor #2 "{ff }{vv }{ll}{ jj}" format.name$ "others" =
	    { " et~al." * }
	    { " and " * editor #2 "{vv~}{ll}" format.name$ * }
	  if$
	}
       if$
     }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {format.book.crossref}
{ volume empty$
     { "empty volume in " cite$ * "'s crossref of " * crossref * warning$
       "In "
     }
     { "Vol." volume tie.or.space.connect
       " of " *
     }
   if$
   editor empty$
   editor field.or.null author field.or.null =
   or
     { key empty$
	{ series empty$
	    { "need editor, key, or series for " cite$ * " to crossref " *
	      crossref * warning$
	      "" *
	    }
	    { series * }
	  if$
	}
	{ key * }
       if$
     }
     { format.crossref.editor * }
   if$
   " \cite{" * crossref * "}" *
}

FUNCTION {format.incoll.inproc.crossref}
{ editor empty$
   editor field.or.null author field.or.null =
   or
     { key empty$
	{ booktitle empty$
	    { "need editor, key, or booktitle for " cite$ * " to crossref " *
	      crossref * warning$
	      ""
	    }
	    { "In \emph{" booktitle * "}" * }
	  if$
	}
	{ "In " key * }
       if$
     }
     { "In " format.crossref.editor * }
   if$
   " \cite{" * crossref * "}" *
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%

% The main functions for each entry type.

% journal, vol and year are formatted together because they are
% not separated by commas.

FUNCTION {article}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   crossref missing$
     { format.journal.vol.year output
       format.number output
       format.pages "pages" output.check
     }
     { format.article.crossref output.nonnull
       format.pages output
     }
   if$
   format.language *
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {book}
{ output.bibitem
   author empty$
     { format.editors "author and editor" output.check }
     { format.authors output.nonnull
       crossref missing$
	{ "author and editor" editor either.or.check }
	'skip$
       if$
     }
   if$
   format.title "title" output.check
   format.edition output
   crossref missing$
     { format.bookvolume.series.number output
       publisher "publisher" output.check
       address output
     }
     { format.book.crossref output.nonnull
     }
   if$
   format.date "year" output.check
   format.language *
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {booklet}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors output
   format.title "title" output.check
   howpublished output
   address output
   format.date output
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {inbook}
{ output.bibitem
   author empty$
     { format.editors "author and editor" output.check }
     { format.authors output.nonnull
       crossref missing$
	{ "author and editor" editor either.or.check }
	'skip$
       if$
     }
   if$
   title "title" output.check
   crossref missing$
     { format.bookvolume.series.number output
       format.chapter.pages "chapter and pages" output.check
       format.number.series output
       publisher "publisher" output.check
       address output
     }
     { format.chapter.pages "chapter and pages" output.check
       format.book.crossref output.nonnull
     }
   if$
   format.edition output
   format.date "year" output.check
   format.book.pages output
   format.language *
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {incollection}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   crossref missing$
     { format.incoll.title.editors "booktitle" output.check
       format.bookvolume.series.number output
       publisher "publisher" output.check
       address output
       format.edition output
       format.date "year" output.check
     }
     { format.incoll.inproc.crossref output.nonnull
     }
   if$
   format.eprint output
   note output
   format.book.pages output
   format.language *
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {inproceedings}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   crossref missing$
     { format.inproc.title.address.editors "booktitle" output.check
       format.bookvolume.series.number output
       organization output
       publisher output
       format.date "year" output.check
     }
     { format.incoll.inproc.crossref output.nonnull
     }
   if$
   format.eprint output
   note output
   format.book.pages output
   format.language *
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {conference} { inproceedings }

FUNCTION {manual}
{ output.bibitem
   author empty$
     { organization empty$
	'skip$
	{ organization output.nonnull
	  address output
	}
       if$
     }
     { format.authors output.nonnull }
   if$
   format.title "title" output.check
   author empty$
     { organization empty$
	{ address output }
	'skip$
       if$
     }
     { organization output
       address output
     }
   if$
   format.edition output
   format.date output
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {mastersthesis}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   "Master's thesis" format.thesis.type output.nonnull
   school "school" output.check
   address output
   format.date "year" output.check
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {misc}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors output
   format.title output
   howpublished output
   format.date output
   format.eprint output
   note output
   format.book.pages output
   fin.entry
   empty.misc.check
}

FUNCTION {phdthesis}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   "Ph.D. thesis" format.thesis.type output.nonnull
   school "school" output.check
   address output
   format.date "year" output.check
   format.eprint output
   note output
   format.book.pages output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {proceedings}
{ output.bibitem
   editor empty$
     { organization output }
     { format.editors output.nonnull }
   if$
   format.title "title" output.check
   format.bookvolume.series.number output
   address empty$
     { editor empty$
         'skip$
	{ organization output }
       if$
       publisher output
       format.date "year" output.check
     }
     { address output.nonnull
       editor empty$
	'skip$
	{ organization output }
       if$
       publisher output
       format.date "year" output.check
     }
   if$
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {techreport}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   format.tr.number output.nonnull
   institution "institution" output.check
   address output
   format.date "year" output.check
   format.eprint output
   note output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {unpublished}
{ output.bibitem
   format.authors "author" output.check
   format.title "title" output.check
   note "note" output.check
   format.date output
   format.eprint output
   fin.entry
}

FUNCTION {default.type} { misc }

MACRO {jan} {"January"}

MACRO {feb} {"February"}

MACRO {mar} {"March"}

MACRO {apr} {"April"}

MACRO {may} {"May"}

MACRO {jun} {"June"}

MACRO {jul} {"July"}

MACRO {aug} {"August"}

MACRO {sep} {"September"}

MACRO {oct} {"October"}

MACRO {nov} {"November"}

MACRO {dec} {"December"}

READ

FUNCTION {sortify}
{ purify$
   "l" change.case$
}

INTEGERS { len }

FUNCTION {chop.word}
{ 's :=
   'len :=
   s #1 len substring$ =
     { s len #1 + global.max$ substring$ }
     's
   if$
}

FUNCTION {sort.format.names}
{ 's :=
   #1 'nameptr :=
   ""
   s num.names$ 'numnames :=
   numnames 'namesleft :=
     { namesleft #0 > }
     { nameptr #1 >
	{ "   " * }
	'skip$
       if$
       s nameptr "{vv{ } }{ll{ }}{  ff{ }}{  jj{ }}" format.name$ 't :=
       nameptr numnames = t "others" = and
	{ "et al" * }
	{ t sortify * }
       if$
       nameptr #1 + 'nameptr :=
       namesleft #1 - 'namesleft :=
     }
   while$
}

FUNCTION {sort.format.title}
{ 't :=
   "A " #2
     "An " #3
       "The " #4 t chop.word
     chop.word
   chop.word
   sortify
   #1 global.max$ substring$
}

FUNCTION {author.sort}
{ author empty$
     { key empty$
	{ "to sort, need author or key in " cite$ * warning$
	  ""
	}
	{ key sortify }
       if$
     }
     { author sort.format.names }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {author.editor.sort}
{ author empty$
     { editor empty$
	{ key empty$
	    { "to sort, need author, editor, or key in " cite$ * warning$
	      ""
	    }
	    { key sortify }
	  if$
	}
	{ editor sort.format.names }
       if$
     }
     { author sort.format.names }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {author.organization.sort}
{ author empty$
     { organization empty$
	{ key empty$
	    { "to sort, need author, organization, or key in " cite$ * warning$
	      ""
	    }
	    { key sortify }
	  if$
	}
	{ "The " #4 organization chop.word sortify }
       if$
     }
     { author sort.format.names }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {editor.organization.sort}
{ editor empty$
     { organization empty$
	{ key empty$
	    { "to sort, need editor, organization, or key in " cite$ * warning$
	      ""
	    }
	    { key sortify }
	  if$
	}
	{ "The " #4 organization chop.word sortify }
       if$
     }
     { editor sort.format.names }
   if$
}

FUNCTION {presort}
{ type$ "book" =
   type$ "inbook" =
   or
     'author.editor.sort
     { type$ "proceedings" =
	'editor.organization.sort
	{ type$ "manual" =
	    'author.organization.sort
	    'author.sort
	  if$
	}
       if$
     }
   if$
   "    "
   *
   year field.or.null sortify
   *
   "    "
   *
   title field.or.null
   sort.format.title
   *
   #1 entry.max$ substring$
   'sort.key$ :=
}

ITERATE {presort}

SORT

STRINGS { longest.label prev.author this.author }

INTEGERS { number.label longest.label.width }

FUNCTION {initialize.longest.label}
{ "" 'longest.label :=
   #1 'number.label :=
   #0 'longest.label.width :=
   "abcxyz" 'prev.author :=
   "" 'this.author :=
}

FUNCTION {longest.label.pass}
{ number.label int.to.str$ 'label :=
   number.label #1 + 'number.label :=
   label width$ longest.label.width >
     { label 'longest.label :=
       label width$ 'longest.label.width :=
     }
     'skip$
   if$
   author empty$
     { editor empty$
       { "" }
       'editor
       if$
     }
     'author
   if$
   'this.author :=
   this.author prev.author =
     { "\bysame" 'extra.label := }
     { "" 'extra.label :=
       this.author "" =
         { "abcxyz" }
         'this.author
       if$
       'prev.author :=
     }
   if$
}

EXECUTE {initialize.longest.label}

ITERATE {longest.label.pass}

FUNCTION {begin.bib}
{ preamble$ empty$
     'skip$
     { preamble$ write$ newline$ }
   if$
   "\providecommand{\bysame}{\leavevmode\hbox
to3em{\hrulefill}\thinspace}"
        write$ newline$
    "\providecommand{\href}[2]{#2}"
         write$ newline$
   "\begin{thebibliography}{"  longest.label  * "}" * write$ newline$
}

EXECUTE {begin.bib}

EXECUTE {init.state.consts}

ITERATE {call.type$}

FUNCTION {end.bib}
{ newline$
   "\end{thebibliography}" write$ newline$
}

EXECUTE {end.bib}
%% \CharacterTable
%%  {Upper-case    \A\B\C\D\E\F\G\H\I\J\K\L\M\N\O\P\Q\R\S\T\U\V\W\X\Y\Z
%%   Lower-case    \a\b\c\d\e\f\g\h\i\j\k\l\m\n\o\p\q\r\s\t\u\v\w\x\y\z
%%   Digits        \0\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9
%%   Exclamation   \!     Double quote  \"     Hash (number) \#
%%   Dollar        \$     Percent       \%     Ampersand     \&
%%   Acute accent  \'     Left paren    \(     Right paren   \)
%%   Asterisk      \*     Plus          \+     Comma         \,
%%   Minus         \-     Point         \.     Solidus       \/
%%   Colon         \:     Semicolon     \;     Less than     \<
%%   Equals        \=     Greater than  \>     Question mark \?
%%   Commercial at \@     Left bracket  \[     Backslash     \\
%%   Right bracket \]     Circumflex    \^     Underscore    \_
%%   Grave accent  \`     Left brace    \{     Vertical bar  \|
%%   Right brace   \}     Tilde         \~}

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>