[OS X TeX] Next generation TeX

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Wed Sep 8 18:42:21 CEST 2004

> TeX has not evolved (in a really significant way) since the early
> days. Only macros have evolved.
> But it's becoming more and more difficult to add new sets of macros
> due to the interactions between them and the lack of TeX engine data
> controls publicly available.
> The pdftex nor e-Tex new engines do not improve things in a really
> significant way, both are "small step" extensions of TeX.
> More and more people think that Omega is dead, what a pity because the
> support of 16 bits fonts would really be a great improvement.

If Omega is dead, then someone should try picking up the pieces.
16-bits is the future.  I see your point about the macros, but I don't
really see fixing this issue as the "next generation TeX", but rather a
re-implementation of what already exists to facilitate extensibility
and maintenance.   It should be possible to do this in an incremental
manner.

> Another aspect was raised at TUG 2004 and concerned high quality
> typesetting on screens and any kind of devices (from the smaller
> mobile phone to the biggest TV) It seems natural that these screen
> typesetters will improve and there might be room for TeX alike
> technology there. But let us focus particularly on paper output.

I agree, high-density displays are already here, and will only continue
to proliferate.  The same quality that TeX puts to paper should be put
to alternate displays.

I guess where I'd draw the line is trying to re-invent TeX to compete
with powerpoint, quark, et al.  I can't really see this as a productive
path.

-SM-

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>