[OS X TeX] Next generation TeX

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed Sep 8 14:52:55 CEST 2004

I couldn't agree more. Specifically,

(1) There could be "superpackages". For instance, "Mathfree
superpackage", "Highschool Math superpackage", etc…
(2) The input could be made to work and look say like MS Word with TeX's
finetuning appearing only in the pdf output.

I am not advocating the "closed box appliance" that Steve Job wanted the
Mac to be, back around 1986—I started with the 256—but, as I have
written before, in my view, THE issue is, essentially, whether or not
LaTeX is to remain for the select few. The great unwashed are not going
to beat a path to it but if, Mahomet like, LaTeX wishes to go to the
mountain, it is going to have to be a lot more user friendly than it is.

I wouldn't be able to brag that I am learning TeX anymore but then it
would be nice to have my "undeveloped" students write to me about their
mathematical woes.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>