[OS X TeX] Version 1.35c

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Sep 5 22:21:28 CEST 2004

Dick, Ettore, Jonathan,

Many thanks for your very helpful hints:

Le 5 sept. 04, à 21:29, Ettore Aldrovandi a écrit :

> However, for this particular bit, what happens if you use
>
> 	ls -l filename/rsrc
>
> in a Terminal.app window, where "filename" is the suspicious
> file? Do you get a zero-length entry?

Yes, that's what I get.

Le 5 sept. 04, à 21:35, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> The error -10660 is (I believe) because the system was trying to
> launch an app that was in the trash (which it's not allowed to do).
> You hadn't deleted the previous TeXShop, only moved it to the trash.
> Emptying the trash or specifically launching the new copy gets around
> that.

Yes, that's exactly what was happening. Silly me!

So far for getting the significance of error codes I had always been
using the very old (1991) System Errors Table 3.1 Desktop Accessory. Of
course, it did not know -10660. Probably I should update my sources of
information! I think there are specific pages, on Apple's Knowledge
Base, devoted to lists of error codes, I'll look for them (I stepped on
them once, but have since lost the bookmarks).

Le 5 sept. 04, à 21:10, Richard Koch a écrit :

> Here's what is happening. MacOSRoman, Latin1, and most of the other
> encodings
> except UTF-8 Unicode, accept 256 characters, and the first 128 are
> just standard
> ascii with the usual encoding. Thus these encodings are different ways
> to utilize the top
> 128 bytes. If you take a file encoded in MacOSRoman and open it in
> Latin1, it'll open fine, but some of the characters may be wrong.
>
> UTF-8 Unicode, however, is different. Standard ascii characters remain
> as
> before, so if a file only has these characters, it will open fine. But
> all other
> characters are encoded with "an algorithm", and a random collection of
> bytes won't usually fit the algorithm. When TeXShop opens a file which
> is believed to be UTF-8 Unicode but isn't, the Mac conversation
> routine says
> "wait, this file isn't legal" and bails out. That's why you got a
> blank window.

OK, I understand now. I had always thought Unicode to be a superset of
Latin1 and other 8-bit extensions of ASCII. But yes, that wasn't
technically possible, and it makes more sense of it to be a superset of
7-bit ASCII only, with all 8-bit extensions to be incompatible between
each other and with Unicode.

> However, there is an easier fix. Why are you using UTF-8. I bet it is
> for XeTeX.
> That's why I added the
>
> %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
>
> business which you can insert at the start of a file. That way you can
> set the default encoding
> to MacOSRoman (or most other defaults), never run into your problem,
> and still use unicode with XeTeX.

That's what I'll do, thanks. Most of my files, before XeTeX appeared,
were indeed Mac OS Roman, with maybe one or two in ISO Latin 1.

Bruno
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>