[OS X TeX] TeXShop Report

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 3 16:53:01 CEST 2004

On 3 sep 2004, at 16:39, Richard Koch wrote:

> Here's an example. Until 1.35, TeXShop came with three short
> templates. Members of TUG complained to me that these templates
> contained sloppy TeX code. Eventually Will Robertson wrote modern
> templates which are in 1.35. The question becomes "how should old
> users be notified of the change?"
> Those who wrote their own Templates won't want to do anything. Others
> may want to switch, and others may be satisfied with the original
> templates. It isn't clear to me that an installer would be able to
> handle the various situations without asking questions which a naive
> user wouldn't know how to answer.

1) They should not be satisfied with the old templates ;)

2) Compare the currently installed templates with the old ones (for
example through a MD5 checksum) and silently update if the old ones are
still installed. This can either be done with an install script, or
better yet at application launch (and then setting a key in the prefs
with the version number of the installed templates).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>