[OS X TeX] Re: emacs + auctex + TeXShop integration

Kai von Fintel fintel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:31:38 CEST 2004

> I would much rather edit in emacs, then press a key sequence
> and have TeXShop format the file and display my output.
> Is this possible?
>
> I've played around with this idea some, but not extensively.  If
> someone has managed to figure it out, please let me know.
>
> Rick

I'm not sure whether you can call on TeXShop to typeset a latex-file
from inside emacs, but that's not really necessary. All TeXShop would
be doing is calling the commandline programs (like pdflatex, etc.).
So, the best way is to call those from inside emacs and use TeXShop as
a viewer (which automagically updates the pdf display whenever there
is a change).

What I have been doing is using a perl program called latexmk to watch
for changes in the source files (i.e. whenever I save in emacs) and
then call on pdflatex, bibtex etc. to typeset a new version. As soon
as TeXShop notices that there is a new version of the pdf-file, it
updates its display. This way the only key combination I have to type
is the save command in emacs.

I describe this setup on my weblog:
<http://semantics-online.org/geek/2004/07/latexmk_and_texshop_automagic_pdfpreview_of_latex_documents>.

This setup could also be used with other editors (such as TeXShop
itself, in which case you don't need to press typeset but just save
the changes in your source file, or BBEdit, etc.).

-- Kai von Fintel
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>