[OS X TeX] Warning - Find broken in TexShop 1.35b, no undo

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Thu Sep 2 23:40:27 CEST 2004

On Sep 2, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Ralph Martin wrote:

> On 2 Sep 2004, at 6:56 pm, Bob Kerstetter wrote:
>> When you are using Regex Find, there is an option ... called "Delimit
>> by Whitespace". When this is checked the Find searches for each word
>> separately. So if you search for:
>> blah whatever
>> the search will find "blah" and "whatever" but not "blah whatever".
>> This is the same thing as searching for blah|whatever using regex.
>> This "Delimit by Whitespace" option works for the various search
>> syntaxes (ruby, perl....) and for "Simple Matching" (regex off)
>>
>> In your case, if you had "Delimit by Whitespace" enabled and regex
>> off, it would find "(" and replace it with "()" and ")" and replace
>> it with "()". So result would be "() ()" --- kind of a bummer.
>
> This happened with TexShop 1.35b "out of the box".
>
> It is most unfortunate that "Delimit by Whitespace" is on by default,
> or indeed that it applies when regex is off. That's not what I call
> intuitive or useful design...

Agreed. I thought I was going nuts for the first day. But then it's
behavior tipped me off to the source of the problem because Nisus on OS
9 had a similar feature, disabled by default, BTW.

>> The regex panel is pretty cool.
>
> Sure, regex can be very useful - when you specifically want it and
> turn it on!

This OgreKit API must be fairly new. SubEthaEdit is also using it with
similar issues.

>> Undo does work, but you have to switch to the text window to activate
>> it.
>
> As far as I could see at the time, the Undo menu item was NOT enabled.
> It's always the first thing I reach for when something unexpected
> happens...

Oh, I wonder.  On the "More Options" pane, I have check "close when
done". Otherwise the sheet with the progress bar stay active until you
click the "done" button. that probably disables undo. ???????

> Anyway, I do appreciate the new regex facility, modulo these
> misfeatures.

dittos :)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>