[OS X TeX] [tetex] Howto enable Type1 fonts for pdftex?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Oct 25 12:50:33 CEST 2004

> Hi all,
>
> i'm using iTeXMac and tetex (installed with i-installer) and tried to
> install some Type1 fonts from Bitstream. A thing i did several times
> with CMacTeX on my old MacOS 9 system, so i know which file has to be
> where and such. I copied all files (tfm,vf,fd,map,pfb) in the right
> places inside my local texmf tree.

These locations have changed with TL2004.

> I ran texhash as root and i tried
> to enable the maps via
>
>   'sudo updmap --enable MixedMap bsb.map'
>
> without any error message. But if i try to compile a LaTeX file using
> this new font pdftex is complaining that the used font couldn't be
> found :-(
>
> Warning: pdflatex (file bsbr0): Font bsbr0 at 600 not found
>
> latex->dvips works fine, i.e. it uses the right font. I thought the
> map type 'MixedMap' stands for dvips and pdftex but actually it
> doesn't make any difference which type i choose. I searched in the
> tetex docs for any hints about the difference but couldn't find it.

MixedMap is for fonts where both .pk and .pfb are available (e.g. type1
versions of CM). Map is for fonts where only type1 is available.

For the rest, you need to add some more info like the log of the updmap
run and both TeX runs so I can see which version you are using etc.

Also, recent versions of updmap may crash an not create the mappings (it
has become a lot less forgiving lately) with troublesome results from a
support perspective.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>