[OS X TeX] change letters in math mode?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Oct 21 10:55:58 CEST 2004

Le 21 oct. 04, à 10:19, Ingo Reich a écrit :

> I finally got my Trump Mediaeval fonts working and think about using
> them together with my Lucida Bright fonts for math (a good alternative
> seems to be the pxfonts). First loading lucida (as usual, or just
> lucbmath.sty) and then the Trump Med. fonts however gives a bit
> strange looking result, since the roman letters in math mode are not
> substituted by the Trump Med. fonts. Somewhat modifying "lucbmath.sty"
> I tried to change this, but the result was simply that not only the
> (italic) roman letters changed, but also the greek letters (and maybe
> some other symbols, I don't really know). Is there a way (and is it
> reasonable) to only change the (italic) roman letters (brackets etc.),
> but keep the greek ones and the other symbols (mathematical relations
> etc.)?

Assuming the font is named "trump", you may try putting in the preamble
of your LaTeX file stuff like:

\SetSymbolFont{operators}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{trump}{m}{n}
\SetSymbolFont{operators}{bold}  {\encodingdefault}{trump}{b}{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathrm}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{trump}{m}{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathbf}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{trump}{b}{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathit}{normal}{\encodingdefault}{trump}{m}{it}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathrm}{bold}  {\encodingdefault}{trump}{b}{n}
\SetMathAlphabet{\mathit}{bold}  {\encodingdefault}{trump}{b}{it}

The Greek letters, corresponding to the math alphabets letters or
mathupright, should not be affected.

> And another problem: I'd also like to load a *scaled* version of the
> sans serif font  that comes with the lucida package (the
> 'hls'-family), but independently from the lucida stylefiles. Any
> suggestions?

You'll have to rewrite the corresponding .fd file, for example
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucida/t1hls.fd, replacing
stuff like

\DeclareLucidaFontShape{T1}{hls}{m}{n}{
hlsr8t
}{}

by

\DeclareLucidaFontShape{T1}{hls}{m}{n}{
s*[0.95] hlsr8t
}{}

but this might conflict with the [lucidascale], [nolucidascale] and
[lucidasmallscale] options defined in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidabr.sty.
Have you tried simply loading the [lucidasmallscale] option?

HTH,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>