[OS X TeX] TeX Live 2003 vs 2004

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Oct 19 14:20:02 CEST 2004

> Am 16.10.2004 um 01:53 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>>> While I am at it, are the packages going to be same as in the
>>> previous releases or more are being added. For instance, I have
>>> beamer in my ~/Library/texmf/tex folder. Should I be concerned about
>>> such conflicts?
>>
>> Not much. If you have installed the new one, you can remove beamer in
>> your ~/Library/texmf. Or you can leave it there it will be found
>> first. The one I ship is pretty new.
>
> btw: Is there any easy way to tell if there are any packages installed
> in my .local directory which are obsolete? I have added quite some
> installations here because they did not ship with your setup or I
> needed a later version, but probably some of them are outdated by the
> version in your setup now or have been included (like beamer).

As local admin you own texmf.local (well, not quite, I use it as well for
package parts that I want to survive a tetex/gwtex update)

Here is a procedure that could help

In a terminal window
    (cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local; find . | sort >/tmp/local.list)
    (cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex; find . >/tmp/gwtex.list.uns)
    (cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex; find . >>/tmp/gwtex.list.uns)
    sort < /tmp/gwtex.list.uns >/tmp/gwtex.list
    opendiff /tmp/local.list /tmp/gwtex.list

and look for places where both sides are identical.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>