[OS X TeX] benchmarking TeX - need example file

christopher ciotti chris_ciotti at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 14:18:49 CEST 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:39 AM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:

> Hello list,
> I am looking for a file that doesn't use any non-standard packages and
> at the same time needs a couple of seconds to compile, even on faster
> systems. Any suggestions or home-made files that you are willing to
> share with me? The whole process of benchmarking will involve a survey
> on a website so that file mustn't contain any secret or valuable
> information.

Hello Stephan -

Why not visit a few Lorem Ipsum generators (google for Lorem Ipsum) and
put together a mega-document?  I tried this and put the gzipped tex
file here:

Depending on what you're looking for, this might get you started.

With the default margins and fonts, it comes out to 455 pages of
gibberish :-)  It takes more than a few seconds to typeset and quite a
few if the microtype package is added (w/ expansion turned on).  You
could also add a few \refs and maybe a \nocite{*} just for fun.

I look forward to reading your results.

chris ciotti <chris_ciotti at yahoo.com>
Key ID: 0x0BD2B97A