[OS X TeX] CGI TeX processing (addition)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Oct 19 14:12:06 CEST 2004

> JE> This is my problem: When I (user jan) start pdflatex with any latex
> JE> file as an argument, my class is loaded, and a pdf file is produced as
> JE> output.
>
> JE> When the *www user* (via the cgi script) does the same thing, I get an
> JE> error: It does not find my class file in
> /Users/jan/Library/texmf/[etc]
>
> JE> That's why I tried setting HOMETEXMF to something invariable, trying
> JE> avoid the $HOME part, which is user dependent (so HOMETEXMF is
> JE> obviously not /Users/jan/Library/texmf when the user is www).
>
> Now did you set the HOMETEXMF environment of the www user or of yourself?
> It should be set in the www user's environment. And then I have my doubts
> that the webserver will execute the envirenment variable settings because
> it doesn't log in.
>
> So why don't you try to link /Users/www/Library/texmf to
> /Users/jan/Library/texmf instead?
>
> sudo ln -s /Users/jan/Library/texmf /Users/www/Library/texmf
>
> And make sure the permissions in /Users/jan/Library/texmf are such that
> the
> files can be read by www.

I hate to disagree with Piet, but
- HOMETEXMF does not need to be set in the environment. It is set by
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf (unless it is already set in the environment)
which is read by definition.

I would like to sum up what in my eyes is the right solution here.
0. Remove anything you tried to do with environment variables. You do
*not* need to change those and changing them only makes the situation less
stable.
1. Add what you want to add to the right subdirectories of
        /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
2. Run in a terminal window
        sudo mktexlsr /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
(You need to run this every time after you have changed the contents of
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local)
3. Remove anything that you added to texmf.local from any ~/Library/texmf
4. Remove (if it exists and unless you know why it should be there in your
case, which is almost never) ~/Library/texmf/ls-R

Now, check on the command line that it works. If so, it should work for
*any* user, irrespectively of environment settings and such.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>