[OS X TeX] OT: TeX on windows

Gavin Hall gavhall at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 06:57:58 CEST 2004

Hi,

I agree that TexNicCenter isn't great.  After getting used to and loving
TexShop, TexNicCenter  feels and looks needlessly ugly and bloated which
I would imagine would make LaTeX appear very daunting to students.  When
you know a little about what you're doing it's fine, merely fine but I
do like the tabs.  If you choose an alternative, for the sake of your
students who are easily put off by things that look 'tricky' (as I was)
pick something that has the most basic (barren) interface possibile.

One possible option on viewing you have is to use the DVI viewer YAP
that is distributed with MikTeX which  - at least I had to - can be
configured extremely simply from Build - Define Output Profiles.... and
selecting the relevent output and then the viewer tab. Ditto for GSview
and .ps files.  This is a lot faster at looking at your documents than
calling up AReader and could bring up some discussion of output file
formats etc.

You just gotta love TexShop, period.

Gav.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>