[OS X TeX] CGI TeX processing

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Oct 19 00:30:20 CEST 2004

On 19/10/2004, at 6:40 AM, Jan Eden wrote:

> Since $HOME is not /Users/jan for that user, the files cannot be
> found. So my idea (as described in my second post) was to hardcode
> /User/jan/Library/texmf into texmf.cnf.
> That did not help, though.

Did you try running   sudo texhash   ?
The $HOMETEXMF  tree can be made to be one of those under
the control of  kpathsea .

e.g.  that's how I work:

[glenlivet:~] rossmoor% sudo texhash
texhash: Updating /Users/rossmoor/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Done.

Here are relevant lines in my  texmf.cnf :

% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...

Of course the variable name doesn't need to be  HOMETEXMF,
you could use anything else; e.g.  JANTEXMF .
This might be a more appropriate name for the users other
than yourself.

>> My opinion is, when TeX sees $TEXMF it looks into $TEXMF/texmf.cnf
>> and now feels configured, everything should work and be found,
>> provided texhash and updmap are not needed to record recent changes.
>> Since the $HOMETEXMF tree is not kept in a "hash" file there is only

It can be, provided you have asked for it with the  TEXMF  variable,
as above.

>> the need either to set the working directory (".") to $HOMETEXMF or
>> to add this component to the TEXMF over-all search path. Then it
>> should work!
> Right, but strangely enough, texmf.cnf is obviously read - except for

Since that isn't the other user's  ~/Library/texmf  you may *need*
to have it in an  ls-R  listing, from  texhash .

Another consideration is whether your  ~jan/Library/texmf  directory
is actually readable by the other users.

> Clueless,

Hope this helps,

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114