[OS X TeX] CGI TeX processing

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Oct 18 23:48:51 CEST 2004

Am 18.10.2004 um 22:40 schrieb Jan Eden:

> Clueless,

Ahh, don't be silly! There are still three more options:

1. Add // to $HOMETEXMF. Usually this means to kpathsearch to traverse
the whole tree.
2. Since PERL knows the complete path to your file's directly make the
script
   a) cd to this directory
   b) cd to $HOMETEXMF

For debugging you could always simply invoke this

kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMF'

Well, I did so, I don't want to tell anybody a lie, at least not one
that could easily be discovered as such. I found this as output:

{/Users/pete/Library/texmf,!!/sw/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,!!/sw/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.os,!!/sw/local/teTeX/share/texmf}

This is correct, meaning that the system trees are not searched, only
their hash files are looked up. And tex should have a look into my
Library/texmf directory.

I put a tex file there and invoked 'kpsewhich Brief.tex' -- empty line
as output. OK, let's add // in texmf.cnf! Again an empty line, but //
*is* added to $TEXMF. Maybe it searches the tree without its root! So I
added a subdirectory and put another copy there. Still an empty line!

~pete 540 /\ ls -lR /Users/pete/Library/texmf
total 8
-rw-r--r--  1 pete  pete  2573 18 Okt 23:26 Brief.tex
drwxr-xr-x  3 pete  pete   102 18 Okt 23:22 Mist

/Users/pete/Library/texmf/Mist:
total 8
-rw-r--r--  1 pete  pete  2573 18 Okt 23:22 Brief.tex

Since the files are there it means that I discovered a new bug in TeX!
Didn't I?

Let's give TeX one more chance:

~pete 550 /\ cd /Users/pete/Library/texmf
~pete/Library/texmf 551 /\ kpsewhich Brief.tex
./Brief.tex
~pete/Library/texmf 552 /\ cd Mist
~pete/Library/texmf/Mist 553 /\ kpsewhich Brief.tex
./Brief.tex

So what remains is: do cd! This works, as long as all files are in this
directory and all included files have either absolute paths or relative
paths from here.

--
Greetings

   Pete