[OS X TeX] CGI TeX processing (addition)

Jan Eden lists at janeden.org
Mon Oct 18 22:40:08 CEST 2004

Hi Gerben,

Gerben Wierda wrote on 18.10.2004:

>On Oct 18, 2004, at 12:18, Jan Eden wrote:

>>Then, for testing purposes, I hardcoded this
>>path into /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf:
>>
>>HOMETEXMF=/Users/jan/Library/texmf
>>
>>No luck. TeX still complains it cannot find my individual classes
>>at that location.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
>Yes. Leave the environment alone. What you did is already standard
>and will not solve anything.

This is good advice, and I would like to follow it.

>If it works on the command line it should work in any script, unless
>the scripts damages/sets the environment in some incompatible way.

This is my problem: When I (user jan) start pdflatex with any latex file as an argument, my class is loaded, and a pdf file is produced as output.

When the *www user* (via the cgi script) does the same thing, I get an error: It does not find my class file in /Users/jan/Library/texmf/[etc]

That's why I tried setting HOMETEXMF to something invariable, trying to avoid the $HOME part, which is user dependent (so HOMETEXMF is obviously not /Users/jan/Library/texmf when the user is www).

After this change, I can still typeset any latex file on the command line, pdflatex finds all its helper files. But the cgi script still does not work.

Now how can I make TeX be aware of my personal inputs (classes, styles etc.) *when the www user starts it* without messing with the environment?

Thanks,

Jan
--
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>