[OS X TeX] pdftex 1.20a and microtype?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sat Oct 16 16:34:24 CEST 2004

Having installed the TL 2004 distribution using Gerben's i-Installer, I
find myself wondering the best way to implement the new microtype
features. I either use the latin modern fonts via:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

or the Lucida fonts via:

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc} % Use this font encoding.
\usepackage[expert,altbullet,lucidasmallscale]{lucidabr}

and in both cases I always use the AMS-LaTeX packages.

With that said, until installing the new (experimental) stuff from
Gerben, I would always use the pdfcprot package to get margin kerning.
Since he doesn't seem to have included the microtype package in his
distribution, I am wondering if it is the best choice moving forward.
Some questions:

(1) Should I now be using the microtype package for margin kerning?

(2) In addition, should I be using the microtype package for font
expansion?

(3) The pdfcprot package doesn't seem to do anything for Lucida and the
microtype package will not work at all. Is this to be expected? I am
assuming that this is because configuration files still need to be
created for Lucida (at least in the case of microtype).

Thank you.

All the best,

-- Gary

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>