[OS X TeX] how to handle window-mania?

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Fri Oct 15 15:21:57 CEST 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Ralph Pöllath wrote:

> On 14.10.2004, at 15:42, Curtis Clifton wrote:

>> ... In OmniOutliner I've taken to coloring the background of
>> different documents so that they are easy to distinguish when
>> “Exposéd”.  Choosing a light, pastel background color doesn't
>> negatively effect readability.  Perhaps TeXShop could allow setting a
>> background color on a per-source basis.  This could be remembered by
>> keeping a cache mapping files to background colors within TeXShop's
>> saved preferences (or with a meta-data facility, but lets not open
>> that can of worms here).  BBEdit 8 uses this mapping approach....
>
> Maybe TexShop could pick up a source document's color label (which you
> can assign in the Finder) and use it as the background color?

Interesting idea.  The finder label colors are a bit too intense for a
background to read/write against for long stretches.  I suppose a
de-saturated version of these colors might work.  I'd prefer custom
color setting inside TeXShop; I think this is straightforward for Cocoa
apps.  IIRC, TeXShop already supports background colors via a hidden
pref.  So the changes would be adding a color picker and remembering
the background color on a per-source basis.  Maybe it's time for me to
finally learn Obj-C.  Though my wife and my thesis adviser surely will
remind me that it's time to finish the d$%* dissertation. :-)

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>