[OS X TeX] how to handle window-mania?

Matthew Hills hills_tex at tina.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 14 22:00:44 CEST 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 12:06 PM, Jack Kuipers wrote:

> For those of you who are currently working on several documents at the
> same time --- I would strongly suggest you get Virtual Desktop

I'm currently unable to go to codetek's website, so I was wondering
what the advantage is over Desktop Manager, which is free (
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12682 ).  You can run a single
copy of TeXShop, but typesetting each document in a separate
workspace...  That would reduce clutter, although it wouldn't be really
helpful if you wanted to look at two documents at the same time...

To the original poster:  it isn't clear to me what you are trying to
do...  I tend to keep my source documents on the left of my screen, and
all others to the right.  I look at the console rarely--only after
typesetting if an error comes up, and as I prepare final drafts to
double-check for any warnings.  The CMD-1 provides a way to quickly
switch between the source and typeset documents.  Typically, I have my
source documents slightly offset, so that it is easy to switch between
them.  If I need to refer to both at the same time, I move them
side-by-side...  This isn't something that I do and undo constantly to
make it a point of friction in the interface.

So, I guess my question is:  what are you trying to do that causes you
friction in locating your windows?  Once identified, it might be pretty
easy to write a quick script that will alleviate this...  (eg, if the
problem is that you want to repeatedly switch context between different
documents, you could try the virtual desktop options or it shouldn't be
too hard to write a script that brings up the next document's set of
source/console/typeset windows)

BTW, does anyone have a TeXShop script to open included file?  (e.g.,
hilight the name of a file in an \input or \include statement, run the
script, and the document in question is opened?)  I've gotten used to
it from programming editors...

Thanks,
Matt

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>