[OS X TeX] how to handle window-mania?

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Thu Oct 14 15:42:09 CEST 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2004, at 7:19 PM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:
>
>> How do you handle open windows when there's more than one window open?
>
> I've been thinking for ages that a CMD-2 shortcut (I know, it's
> already taken, but I think it should take precedence) to cycle between
> source windows would be really nice. (Or it could cycle through
> whatever the frontmost window is.) I guess that wouldn't be too hard
> to Applescript, actually.

I sometimes use Cmd-` to cycle through the windows of the current
(Cocoa) application.  Cmd-~ cycles the opposite direction.  Maybe
Cmd-Opt-` could be used to cycle source windows if people are concerned
about the Cmd-2 precedent.

> Usually I set it up so that I've got the source of one document one
> the left, and the source of another on the right, and keep the pdfs
> and consoles as minimised as possible. Exposé doesn't help too much
> coz all the windows look similar.

I agree with the Exposé sentiment.  I regularly use Exposé, but find it
doesn't help much when I've got three of four windows of LaTeX source.

In OmniOutliner I've taken to coloring the background of different
documents so that they are easy to distinguish when “Exposéd”.
Choosing a light, pastel background color doesn't negatively effect
readability.  Perhaps TeXShop could allow setting a background color on
a per-source basis.  This could be remembered by keeping a cache
mapping files to background colors within TeXShop's saved preferences
(or with a meta-data facility, but lets not open that can of worms
here).  BBEdit 8 uses this mapping approach.

The background color of the source document could, optionally, also be
used for the corresponding console and pdf.  The three windows for a
document (source, console, and pdf) are sufficiently different that
even if they are the same color they could still be differentiated when
Exposéd.  An wilder idea would be to integrate this with pdfsync for
pdfs generated from multiple sources (i.e., include files).  The
previewer could render the background of each page of the pdf in the
appropriate color based on the include file that describes that page.

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>