[OS X TeX] Re: font management simplified

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 05:20:17 CEST 2004

On 05/10/2004, at 10:53 AM, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2004, at 10:26 PM, William F. Adams wrote:
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestions for what sort of interface, or
>> capabilities they'd like, send me private e-mail.
>
> I little more of a general question, if you'll mind. I'm trying to
> squeeze some of the more impressive Mac OS X fonts into an XeLaTeX
> interface, and I'm a little unsure what to do with all the weights.
> For example
>
> Helvetica Neue:
>   Condensed Bold:  textcb / cbseries
>   Condensed Black: textck / ckseries  (???)
>
> Well, if black = k, then in Optima:
>   ExtraBlack:      textxk / xkseries
>
> Hoefler Text also has black weights, so I need some letter to
> distinguish them. I seem to remember seeing a table once with a letter
> for the black weight, but I've lost it now. TLC only has light to
> medium to bold.

I think you want to look at the documentation:

     ..../texmf/doc/fontname/fontname.pdf

  \S 2.3  is titles "Weights"

The table there has:

  k = Book
  c = Black

> Any suggestions? Am I even on the right track assigning LaTeX commands
> to all the myriad of permutations I have?

Since much of this kind of work has been done already,
it'd be best to stick to what is used there, and add
anything missing into slots with unused letters.

Other parts of this  fontname.pdf  document may be
of value as well.

Thanks for undertaking this work.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>