font management simplified (was Re: [OS X TeX] Trump Mediaeval fonts_

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at
Mon Oct 4 09:28:30 CEST 2004

On 4 okt 2004, at 9:06, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 4 oct. 04, à 08:52, Scott Murman a écrit :
>> last time i checked there were a small handful of math fonts - the
>> original, euler, mathpazo, and now fourier-gut.  the last 3 mostly
>> work, but do not work in general situations, and the quality is not
>> exceptional.   this leaves the original math font being used in 99.9%
>> of the cases, which is one (probably large) reason why most people
>> never venture beyond CM.   if i wanted to use Hoefler, Skia, or,
>> ...., i'd have a hard time finding a math font which matched.
> I'm using Lucida, which matches most text fonts much better (in terms
> of weight) than CM. It's a nice and extensive set; for example, it
> contains bold math italic which is needed (for vector -- implying bold
> -- variables -- implying italic --) for the journals I submit papers
> to. However, it's not free.

And given the troubles at Y&Y, it is pretty hard to get the complete
set these days :-(
(See comp.text.tex for a recent discussion). But I agree with Bruno:
not free, but Lucida + Lucida New Math is a great combination and a
nice & complete alternative to computer modern, that doesn't stand out
as much as CM relative to something like Skia.