[OS X TeX] XeTeX sources?

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 12:11:04 CET 2004

I started to write TeXniscope as a dvi previewer with in mind to have a
fast viewer (i.e. responsive so that changes to the source can be
reflected as soon as possible in the preview). This is possible as the
experience with TeXview (on NeXT, people always report that to be a
great program) or xdvi (which is very fast, IMO). Unfortunately it is
not so easy to draw TeX fonts on the MacOSX with good quality (as
MacDviX e.g. shows). Ideally one should be able to use the intrinsic
PDF support to draw Type1 fonts directly but Apple does not provide a
sufficiently rich interface to its PDF rendering engine (as NeXT had
when working with Display PostScript). My strategy up to now has been
to hack dvipdfm to be used inside the viewer as an interface between
the dvi format and the graphics driver but it still require much work.
For example one of the difficulty is that Quartz does not allow to use
incremental PDF which would be great for parsing pages as they come out
from TeX....

After this long story (without happy ending -- at least until now) I
was thinking that maybe is is possible to hack TeX itself to work
toghether with the viewer to provide flahsmode. And this is the reason
I wanted to have a look at the sources....

- Just imagine something like a free TeXtures-like app...

Dvipdfm is fast but much of the time it is spent in parsing the fonts,
subsetting and including them in the PDF (especially when the dvi is
short).
In this respect XeTeX (as far as I understand) includes standard fonts
so it should be possible to write a rendered directly in Quartz without
any intermediate (device independed) stuff. This is not optimal for
reproducibility of output but this should be intendend only for a fast
preview of the source. When the document is complete it can be
processed by standard software (to obtain standard device independent
outputs).

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>