[OS X TeX] footnotes in tabular

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 30 00:37:33 CET 2004

On 29 nov 2004, at 22:56, Google Kreme wrote:

> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{center}
> \begin{tabular}{l|r}
> \hline Key & Action \\
> \hline Mouse 1 & Fire\footnote{Don't forget you need to reload your
> ammo} \\  \hline
> \end{tabular} \\[10pt]
> \end{center}
> \end{document}
>
> the footnote mark appears, but thefootnote does not.

Known behaviour. May I suggest
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=footintab
I've never needed footnotes in tables that are longer than a single
page, and therefore
the minipage trick works for me:

\begin{table}
\caption[Comparison between literature values and our results]%
	{A comparison between literature values and our results.}
\begin{minipage}{\textwidth}
\renewcommand{\thefootnote}{\thempfootnote}
	\renewcommand{\footnoterule}{}
\begin{tabular*}{\textwidth}{p{45mm}l@{\extracolsep{\fill}}l}
Blah & ---\footnote{Not indicated.\label{fn:ni}} & . . . \\
. . .
\end{tabular*}
\end{minipage}
\end{table}