[OS X TeX] iInstaller and manually installed components

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Nov 29 23:05:21 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:07:40PM +0100, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> On 29 nov 2004, at 21:56, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
> Eh, no. i-Installer TeX is newer than Fink *unstable*, as far as I
> know. And your order, allows for very easy intermixing of Fink and
> i-Installer teTeX that causes a lot of headaches, especially for
> Gerben. Just keep it in mind next time you seem to have trouble with
> TeX. To test that, take out the /sw/bin part of your path, run the
> configuration stage of the i-Installer package and check to see if the
> problem persists. If it's cured: you've found the culprit.
>
> >Indeed you should take some care *not* to install Fink's teTeX by
> >accident when you try to install AUCTeX, xdvi or any other packages.
>
> The ease with which Fink will mess up your system has kept me from
> using it.
>
> Maarten

Besides, there is less and less reason to use Fink, as on the one
hand Apple adds more and more GNU stuff to OS X and on the other
hand standard Unix/Linux sources compile more and more often
out-of-the-box. I removed Fink when I upgraded to Panther.

Fink may have had a lot to do with the current good state of OS X
support in open source Unix software, but for me it has outlived
its usefulness.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>