[OS X TeX] iInstaller and manually installed components

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 29 21:12:06 CET 2004

On 29 nov 2004, at 20:54, Google Kreme wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:23:12 +0100, Maarten Sneep
> <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Be _very_ careful about the order in which you add them. Although Fink
>> advices to put it at the front of you path, I think you're way better
>> off by putting them at the end (minor security and major configuration
>> issues - especially wrt TeX).
>
> the trouble with placing it last is that some of the packages fink
> installs are in preference to ones that come with the system.  Like ls
> for example..  placing it last means you would have to alias ls ot
> /sw/bin/ls for example.

That's another one: the 'ls' on Panther is the coloured version already.
Just add
     export CLICOLOR=1
     export LSCOLORS="exfxcxdxbxegedabagacad"
to your .bashrc to get the colours, which - I think - is the most
common reason
to favour Fink's ls over the Apple supplied one.

> It is a problem though, because it shoud NOT be first, I agree.

I think one should have truly great arguments before replacing a system
supplied
utility. In the few cases where such a thing is needed, an alias can be
used.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>