[OS X TeX] Compiling Texniscope from source

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Mon Nov 29 15:50:26 CET 2004

Hi,

  as others already remarked, TeXniscope is a Cocoa app so the only
chance to make it work under X11 is to use GNUstep (www.gnustep.org).
However it uses the PDF graphic driver which comes with MacOSX (and
which GNUstep doesn't have) so any attempt to port TeXniscope to the
X11 world would require to rewrite completely the graphic layer. I do
not think it would be an easy job.

To compile TeXniscope you need to open TeXniscope.xcode inside
Xcode.app.
In any case I really do not understand why you need to run TeXniscope
under X11. Just open the X11 server in the Acqua GUI and use you
preferred X11 app... (or maybe I miss something...)

As to the embedded-PS compatibility any user should be aware that
TeXniscope handle DVI trough dvipdfm(x) (and usually not dvipdf which
is really different program). dvipdfm(x) has some PS capabilities but,
as some of you became aware, cannot handle e.g. pstricks.
For the moment I'm unable to provide patches to improve the
compatibility (esp. with respect to what xdvi can do) but it seems to
me not infeasible in the (not so near) future.

Massimiliano

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>