[OS X TeX] tabular newbie question

Axel E.Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Sun Nov 28 05:54:28 CET 2004

On Nov 27, 2004, at 10:23 PM, Google Kreme wrote:

> I was trying to create a nice table of the Half Life 2 cheat codes
> (the actaul document will be much longer, but I've reduced it here to
> the minimum that doesn't work:
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \title{Console Cheats}
> \author{It's Me}
> \begin{document}
> \section{Half Life 2}
>
> \begin{tabular}{|r|l|}
> \hline
>   Set Gravity & sv_gravity  \\

[...]
> TeX Shop gives me:
>
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                 $
> l.9   Set Gravity & sv_
>                        gravity  \\

It tells you that _ can only be used in math mode for subscripts. If
you want the _ to print, you have to use it with \: sv\_gravity (also
with #: \#). This typesets fine:

\begin{tabular}{|r|l|}
\hline
   Set Gravity & sv\_gravity  \\
  Shows FPS Rate & cl\_showfps 1 \\
  Shows all available levels & Maps * \\
  Load specified map & map nameofmap.bsp \\
  Walk through walls  & Noclip \\
  NPCs can't see you, won't fire at you, etc. & notarget \\
  Spawn a buggy & Impulse 82 \\
  Give yourself all weapons & Impulse 101 \\
  God mode & God \\
  First person view & Firstperson \\
  Third person view & Thirdperson (causes general movement wonkiness) \\
  See through walls & Mat\_depthbias\_normal 1 \\
  Change difficulty level  & Skill \# (1, 2, or 3) \\
  \hline
  \end{tabular}
\end{document}

Best regards,