[OS X TeX] Configuring Emacs 21.3.50 for AUC-TeX on OS X 10.3

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 16:16:56 CET 2004

Le 26 nov. 04, à 14:21, Peter Cholak a écrit :

> Le 26 nov. 04, à 00:50, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> Isn't it specific to csh? Or does it work with bash (the original
>> poster's shell) too?
>>
>> Also, does it suppress the necessity to create a
>> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file?
>
> The following lines work with any shell and suppress the need for
> above file.  Clearly they will have to be changes to suit where you
> store things.
>
> [...]
>
> ;; Patch to provide missing environment variables to Emacs
>
> (setenv "TEXBIB" ".:/Users/cholak/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib//")
>
> (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH")
> ":/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/bin"))
>
> (setenv "DISPLAY" "localhost:0.0")
>
> (setenv "INFOPATH"
> "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info:/usr/local/teTeX/
> info:/sw/share/info:/sw/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/local/lib/
> info:/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info")
>
> (setenv "MANPATH"
> "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info:/usr/local/teTeX/
> info:/sw/share/info:/sw/info:/usr/local/share/info:/usr/local/lib/
> info:/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info")
>
> [...]

Here's what I've just tried, based on the default
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist and an exploration of the hidden
directories of my Mac:

> ;; Patch to provide missing environment variables to Emacs
>
> (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH")
> ":/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current"))
>
> (setenv "INFOPATH"
> "/usr/share/info:/usr/local/info:/usr/local/share/info:/opt/local/
> share/info:/usr/local/teTeX/info:/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/
> Resources/info")
>
> (setenv "MANPATH"
> "/usr/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:/
> opt/local/share/man:/usr/local/teTeX/man:/Applications/Emacs.app/
> Contents/Resources/man")

I hope I got the ordering right (from the more generic to the more
specific), didn't forget anything and didn't add anything
unnecessary/harmful. I got the impression /usr/share/info and
/usr/share/man are a default component of OS X, right? I'm not sure
where the /opt directory comes from ; maybe some months ago when I
tried an Emacs built by Jordan Hubbard of Apple/DarwinPorts fame.

Actually I just realized there's already a similar file, though without
the path settings, in the Enhanced Carbon Emacs distro as
emacs-docs/dot-emacs.el. Plus there is the new .emacs just posted by
Enrico Franconi as I was writing this message.

A couple of remarks:

- IMO, the proposed Emacs icon by Massimiliano Gubinelli is nicer than
the default Gnu one. Could it be made the default, if Massimiliano
agrees?

- Is there a way of replacing the default Courier font by Monaco?

- How is it possible to specify TeXniscope as the viewer?

- In LaTeX mode, in Commands/Print the only printers displayed are
"brother" and "franconi-printer". How is this changed?

- Is it normal that, when Options/Show/Hide/Tool-bar is checked, the
toolbar isn't displayed?

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>