[OS X TeX] [editors] TextMate

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Fri Nov 26 09:55:36 CET 2004

On 26 Nov 2004, at 7:17 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
> Indeed, I think this folding is about the only area where TextMate
> really has any particluar advantage over e.g. BBEdit, but for me, its
> (TextMate's) lack of AppleScript support and general immaturity that
> make it, at best, one to keep an eye on.

I agree, but I also think folding is the best thing I've ever seen in
an editor besides automatic indent (which I haven't actually found in a
LaTeX editor yet!). But yes, the number of features it lacks outweighs
this advantage for now.

> The folding approach can be had "in spades" if you prepare your bulk
> text in an outliner such as OmniOutliner or TAO. OO in particular has
> nice scripts for exporting passable LaTeX from an outline such that
> you don't have to do all that much cleaning up afterwards. You
> scarifice syntax colouring whilst writing though.

Uh. No thanks :)
I investigated an OO->LaTeX script at some stage, and while I was
impressed at the technology, I definitely didn't want to write anything
that way.

Cheers,
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>