[OS X TeX] Textencoding MacOS Roman vs UTF-8

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Tue Nov 23 15:14:21 CET 2004

First of all, thanks to everyone who posted an answer!

Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> writes:

>> So ucs.sty works alright? It is sufficiently reliable?
>
> The answer to this question depends strongly on what you expect the
> package to do: western languages with their accents just work, at
> least in my experience. Greek, Cyrillic might be there, but not
> complete, CJK is probably absent. So define reliable, and we might
> come up with an answer.

I am sorry that I was not to the point here.

I meant to say, what are the limitations of ucs.sty / [utf8]inputenc
at the moment because I wonder whether we still may call unicode
support "experimental" (that's what the German version says at this
point), or "a work in progress". So would it be right to say that
unicode input in LaTeX works well at this point as far as the Western
languages are concerned? All the rest you may want to use it for is
still incomplete?

Thanks,
Juergen.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>