[OS X TeX] TrueType-fonts in LaTeX...?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Nov 23 12:55:36 CET 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 12:17, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 23 nov. 04, à 11:22, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> I'm working on how to integrate the Apple fonts into usual TeX. They
>> have to be converted into PostScript.

It is nice to see someone have another go at the process. I tried this
1.5 years ago and some of the tools were not mature enough.

> [...]
>> containing the data is made accessible to UNIX tools by making it
>> plain file.
>>
>> Next comes the actual conversion. ttf2pt1 is your first choice
>> because meanwhile it can access *all* glyphs in Unicode encoded
>> fonts, i.e. you get the Greek letters for OT1, eng/Eng for T1 and
>> probably too all the little (text) accents for TS1 (this will be
>> proven, or not, this weekend). ttf2afm is useful too because it
>> delivers lists of the Macintosh Roman (Platform ID 1, Encoding ID 0)
>> and the Microsoft Unicode (Platform ID 3, Encoding ID 1) encodings of
>> the font, i.e. its actual contents. Using the latter you can either
>> teach ttf2pt1 to extract the 'planes' needed (x03 for Greek, x01 for
>> eng/Eng, a lot more for TS1 and math) or just choose what you really
>> need.
>>
>> Final step is Fontinst! Combining many subsets to one complete set.
>> Weeks or months later all is done. I hope to have finished at
>> Christmas ... (of course it works just to create T1 encoded fonts
>> with three glyphs missing
>>
>> I am working recently on Lucida that comes with Java (Lucida Bright,
>> Lucida Sans, and Lucida Sans Typewriter). The fonts look promising
>> because they contain a lot of mathematical symbols too! Although
>> their use might be prohibited by a very restrictive license ...
>
> It has been advocated by some that the conversion of Apple fonts to
> any other format than the original breaks the OS X licence, in that it
> amounts to have more than one copy (one for each format) of an element
> of the OS on a single computer. From
> <http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htm>:
>
> "The software (including Boot ROM code), documentation and any fonts
> accompanying this License whether on disk, in read only memory, on any
> other media or in any other form (collectively the “Apple Software”)
> are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Computer, Inc. (“Apple”) for
> use only under the terms of this License, and Apple reserves all
> rights not expressly granted to you."
>
> then:
>
> "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple
> Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."
>
> I don't think anybody in the know has ever provided a clarification of
> this issue. Please don't misunderstand me: I'm not a devotee of
> software licensing, and I do hope the above interpretation is wrong.
> IANAL, and it would be be a silly thing to not be able to use a font
> with a piece of software, just because conversion of the font to an
> intermediary format is required but not allowed. I simply hope
> somebody more familiar with Apple licensing, or more acquainted with
> legal issues, could enlighten us.
>
> I've said that already in the past, so I probably sound like a broken
> record, but the OpenOffice.org installer does this -- converting OS X
> fonts to TTF format at install time, using Fondu --- and the guys who
> did it must certainly know what they're doing.

I would not count on that.

Next to technical problems, the license issue is what finally stopped
be from pressing for this.

Personally, I would like to see the XeTeX stuff integrated into the
normal TeX code base.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>