[OS X TeX] Textencoding MacOS Roman vs UTF-8

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Nov 23 01:12:37 CET 2004

On 22 Nov 2004, at 10:32 PM, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> How do you manage with the utf-8 option in inputenc? Does it work
> reliably? I am asking because we have already recommended latin1 for
> Macintosh in l2tabu. At the same time we marked utf-8 as still
> somewhat experimental. Is this still correct on the Macintosh?

As far as I'm aware, yes. As others have said, all of the stuff that is
[latin1] works properly in [utf8], such as accents and common symbols.
I would recommend that it be mentioned that [applemac] is old fashioned
and it's time to move on. In an ideal world (and looking into the
future) go [utf8], otherwise [latin1] will serve equally as well, but
more compatibly, than [applemac].

As far as interfaces to utf8 are concerned, I'm not too sure of the
details but I believe with a recent system \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
will give you what you want for simple stuff. For more demanding
use(r)s, the ucs package might also be required.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>