[OS X TeX] Graphing Calculator for OS X

david craig dac at panix.com
Thu Nov 18 20:59:15 CET 2004

Graphing Calculator has finally been made available for OS X!
<http://www.pacifict.com/Order.html>

It's a little pricey ($60 educational), but all along the developer has
argued it was too expensive to port.  (The program had deep roots in
QuickDraw, apparently, and he had rip all that out and replace it with
OpenGL.)  It can do way more than most people ever realized, so do check
it out.  I always had a MUCH easier time getting students to use it than
I ever did Maple or Mathematica, so I loved having it on lab computers
as well as using it for lecture demos.

I'm thrilled.  Graphing Calculator is one of those applications that was
perhaps a victim of its own simplicity -- it looks so simple that it's
very easy to miss just how much it can do.  I used it all the time for
classroom demonstrations, creating QuickTime movies, and doing simple
visualiztions before (often instead of) firing up Maple or Mathematica,
even in my research.

I've been using Curvus Pro under OS X, which had some nice features, but
overall I am delighted GC has returned to OS X.  (Some of you may know
that Curvus was bought by Apple for inclusion in Tiger -- I think
they'll be calling it "Graphing Calculator" [:-)] Actually, I thought
that was sad, because it almost certainly means that as an application
Curvus is not going to get much further attention or development.
Those kinds of accessories Apple usually almost totally ignores.  Just
look at how awful OS X's calculator STILL is.  It can't even add
correctly!)

And no, I have no affiliation with Graphing Calculator.  I have bugged
the developer to develop the OS X version, so I feel a little
responsible that way, but other than that I just think it's an
application that deserves more attention and respect than perhaps it
got.

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>