[OS X TeX] Please do not use Reply-To unless it's really a reply

Matthias Damm osxtex2 at macpla.net
Thu Nov 18 17:15:43 CET 2004

Am 18.11.2004 um 16:55 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Please, when posting to this list, do not use your mailer's Reply-To
> button unless you're really posting a reply to a previous message.
> Otherwise, this messes up the way OS X Mail organizes messages in
> threads.

Thanks for pointing this out!

> This is a limitation of OS X Mail, obviously (I've not tested the same
> in Thunderbird or Mozilla Mail yet), but for the moment we have to
> live with it.

No, it is not a limitation -- Mail simply uses the only possible way
threading can be done with emails: It is the purpose of the
organized.

If Mail only used the Subject: to find out which messages belong to one
thread, there were other problems: Quite often the subject is changed
willingly or unwillingly, and Mail would end up with messages belonging
together separated into many threads.
(Perhaps such a mechanism would work in this list with almost anybody
using Mac clients which seem to behave very standards-conform, but
experiences from other lists with many Windows users show that
oragnizing threads by subject does not have any chance to work here...)

A real limitation of Mail.app is that it cannot draw a tree of
messages, i.e. it cannot show which messages are direct replies to
others. But I am hoping for Tiger here...

Best,
Matthias

--
Matthias Damm
mad at macpla.net
PGP key: http://macplanet.macbay.de/MatthiasDamm.asc
PGP fingerprint: CED3 6074 7F7D 3148 C6F3  DFF2 05FF 3A0B 0D12 4D41

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>