[OS X TeX] Hyphenation issues

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Thu Nov 18 13:58:16 CET 2004

Dear list-members,

I just started using LaTeX some time ago and still a novice but getting
more and more fascinated by it, while experimenting with it's
possibilities. But now I've encountered a problem, which I couldn't
find a solution for:

When working with texts in languages using diacritics, I found out that
words with diacritics are not made up. Even when I use babel and T1,
the result isn't always satisfying, especially when writing Esperanto,
that for some reason hasn't got proper hyphenation-handling in babel. I
found out that there were two packages addressing this problem, namely
more generally "mltex" and modified tables for babel called "eo"
especially for Esperanto:
http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/Download/TeX/eo.tar.gz

By browsing the TeX-directories (made by i-installer) I found out that
both these are in there from the start
(tetex:share:temf.tetex:tex:latex:mltex and
tetex:share:temf.tetex:tex:latex:eo and
tetex:share:temf.tetex:tex:generic:babel:latin3eo.def), so my guess
was, that it should be possible to evoke them from my file in TeXShop.
But when I try to process the test-files from the original packages
neither mltex nor eo are found and thus the result is not as hoped for.
This is what I get when processing each of the test-files (or my own
ones):

(...)
Package mltex Warning: Encoding `LO1' assumes the use of MLTeX,
(mltex)                but this TeX does not have the MLTeX extensions.
(mltex)                I will proceed as if `LO1' are equal to `OT1'.
(...)

(...)
Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `Eo'
(babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0
instead.

You need MLTeX extensions to get full hyphenation for Esperanto.))
(...)

As I don't know, how exactly the TeX-installation is organised (and
this is why I just love i-installer!), I am not sure whether those
packages are just *included* in the installation, and something special
has to be done to activate them or whether I am making some other
mistake.

Might be someone on the list could help me with getting those packages
work?

Thanks in advance,
Florian.

Installed on a iBook G4 10.3.6:
• TeXShop 1.35e
• TeX-installation by i-installer (2.69.0):
	ghostscript-8.ii2receipt
	libwmf.ii2receipt
	libpng.ii2receipt
	freetype2.ii2receipt