[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Nov 18 01:51:31 CET 2004

Jack,
Better yet, try typing
texdoc mfpic
at the command line. I have no idea where it gets the documentation
from, but it's newer.

(also texdoc mpman, etc)

How to figure out the names of these files, I haven't a clue. I found
them by downloading the package from ctan and hunting for
documentation.

One thing that can be done is
cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc
ls -R | grep "\.ps"

If I were better, I could get a cleaner list.
Anyway, texdoc on any of the names you see (without ".ps") will open up
that document for reading.
Joe

On Nov 17, 2004, at 6:57 PM, Jack Kuipers wrote:

> Thank you, Joseph
>
> I use TeXShop ie TeX/LaTeX but I am not familiar with metapost, mfpic,
> and/or  xfig.
> Are they packages, graphics apps, or utilities. They are discussed
> where?
> I have been converting all my figures (in Superpaint) from whatever to
> eps. Then, using
> pkg eps2pdf to put them in pdf format. Not very successful for me.
> Sorry for being so dense. Tell me where and I'll find out about what
> needs doing.
> Thanx,
>
> Jack
>
> On 17 Nov, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Joseph C. Slater wrote:
>

>> On Nov 17, 2004, at 5:10 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> 4. With regard to your graphics, I can only speculate; but even if
>>> you have to recreate them from scratch, I could imagine that doing
>>> it with the help of metapost, in which case I would recommend the
>>> "frontend" mfpic, would be fun - at least for you as author.
>>>

>> Easier may be xfig instead, exporting to metapost, then editing the
>> metapost as needed.
>>

>> Joe

(+1) 937-775-5085
http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater